Mold on the walls appears when there is moisture and some heat and does not depend on the type of moisture that you have.
If you want to know how to remove mold from the walls and make sure it does not come out again, you must eliminate what causes it:
It should be remembered that mold causes serious respiratory problems in humans and animals.
What is mold?
The mold consists of fungi, which proliferate by spores and spread through the damp areas of the house, covering the walls with dark spots, which spread over all of them, impregnating the walls covered with plaster, and also appears among the tiles.
The proliferation by spores easily reaches all corners of the house, and when it penetrates the cabinets, it degrades the pieces of clothing, as well as the pieces of leather. If it is not removed initially, the progression is exponential and this leaves the affected parts as parts to be discarded.
Types of mold on the walls
All types of mold emit spores into the air to reproduce and cause health problems to the inhabitants of the house, such as allergies, asthma and rheumatism.
The most frequent mold types in walls, ceilings anf floors of a house are the following:
- White mold. This mold is very common and has the appearance of a white powder like cotton. It mainly appears on walls, floors and wooden objects.
- Black mold. It is found on walls and floors of very humid and dark places and it is very dangerous due to its toxicity.
- Pink mold. It reproduces in the tiling of bathrooms with high condensation moisture when the water vapor that is generated there is not extracted correctly.
- Alternaria mold.It is common in the dark and poorly ventilated corners of the kitchen and can also contaminate the food that is made there.
- Apergillus mold. It is common in village houses in areas with animals such as stables or pens.
In all cases the solution goes through a drying process of the moisture in walls, and a initial removal of mold by spraying carefully where it exists.
Causes: why does mold appears on walls?
Unfortunately, mold spores are found anywhere and because they are microscopic they are not visible, so they are very difficult to reject or stop.
When the spores find moisture in a house, they get a suitable place to develop, generating colonies of mold. If we add the warmth of a home, this facilitates their growth and proliferation in an uncontrolled manner.
Depending on the type of moisture, these are the main causes of mold on the walls:
Rising damp is the cause of moisture appearing on the floor and walls on lower floors and basements, and end up generating colonies of mold.
Condensation moisture caused by the water vapor that has been generated inside the house, appear in corners of the walls because these are places with little air renewal, and consequently these are places where mold also appears.
Moisture by filtration appears near where there is a crack in the ceiling or wall, or near where a leak has occurred in a pipe or drain and the high humidity concentrated in a small area causes significant colonies of mold.
Consequences of mold on the wall
Unfortunately, the consequences of mold on the walls of our home are unpredictable, although the most common effects are:
- It generates mold stains that spread over walls, columns, ceilings and floors. These parts degrade until moisture is not removed.
- Mold pentrates in wardrobes damaging clothing, accessories and footwear.
- People, animals and plants are affected by the mold spores we breathe, causing asthma, allergies, rheumatisms and eczema on the skin.
- A house that includes mold is very difficult to rent or sell, and it is necessary to remove previously moisture so that the house is no longer affected by mold.
Solutions to remove mold on walls
If you have mold stains on walls or ceilings, don’t waste time covering them. The solution is to remove the moisture that causes them and repair the affected area. Rehabilitating is only possible when the wall is dry.
You can remove mold by following these simple instructions:
- Before applying an antimold product to the affected areas, it is important to protect yourself by covering your body, using rubber gloves and glasses y so that spray splashes don’t affect you.
- You must remove the mold by spraying with an anti-rust all affected walls and ceilings, using for example a mixture of 4 parts of water and one part of bleach, and perform the operation again after a couple of days.
- We have to wait a few daysto collect mold with a rag, avoiding the use of a brush, as it would leave the spores in the air and deposit the mold elsewhere.
- It is essential to remove the moisture that has caused it, because otherwise it will reproduce, which is very dangerous for the health of people, animals and plants.
- Mold on clothing or leather accessories should be treated by a professional,because not only it is difficult to remove mold from clothes with the traditional methods , but also it is dangerous to put those clothes in the washing machine, as it could spread mold to other parts.
Humitat-Stop, experts in removing mold from walls
Removing the mold from the walls is a simple task following the instructions about applying an anti-rust, as we have explained in the previous section.
If the mold has been on the wall for a long period, cleaning of the wall is essential, by removing all affected plaster.
The solution to prevent mold from coming out again is the complete removal of moisture that have eased their proliferation. See the section about moisture types possible causes and solutions for the different moisture types.
It is important to remove all types of moisture to ensure that mold does not come out again in the future.
At Humitat-Stop we are specialists in removing mold from walls. Our priority is to offer the most effective solution to solve moisture problems, and we make sure that our customers are completely satisfied with our work by offering a written warranty. If you need help solving your mold problems on the walls, do not hesitate to contact us to obtain a free diagnosis. Our commitment is to respond in less than 24 hours to provide the best possible solution.